About Dr. Tony Alessandra: He helps companies turn prospects into promoters. He is two speakers in one… a professor and a performer, or as one client put it – he delivers college-level lectures in a comedy store format. Dr. Tony offers audiences the opportunity to enjoy themselves while learning practical, immediately applicable skills that positively affect their relationships with prospects, customers and co-workers. His focus is on how to create instant rapport with prospects, employees & vendors; how to convert prospects and customers into business apostles who will “preach the gospel” about your company and products; and how to out-market, out-sell and out-service the competition.
Dr. Alessandra has a street-wise, college-smart perspective on business, having been raised in the housing projects of NYC to eventually realizing success as a graduate professor of marketing, Internet entrepreneur, business author, and hall-of-fame keynote speaker. He earned a BBA from Notre Dame, an MBA from the Univ. of Connecticut and his PhD in marketing in 1976 from Georgia State University.
Tony is CEO of Assessments 24×7 LLC, a company that offers a variety of online assessments, including the widely used DISC profile, the Hartman HVP, Motivators (Values/PIAV) assessment, and several 360º effectiveness assessments.
He is also a prolific author with 30 books translated into over 50 foreign language editions, including the newly revised, best-selling The NEW Art of Managing People; Charisma; The Platinum Rule; Collaborative Selling; and Communicating at Work.
He is featured in over 100 audio/video programs and films, including DISC Relationship Strategies; The Dynamics of Effective Listening; and Gaining the EDGE in Competitive Selling. He is also the originator of the internationally recognized behavioral style assessment tool – The Platinum Rule®.
Dr. Alessandra was inducted into the NSA Speakers Hall of Fame in 1985. In 2009, he was inducted as one of the “Legends of the Speaking Profession;” in 2010-2014, he was selected 5 times as one of the Speakers.com Top 5 Sales/ Marketing/ Customer Service Speakers by Speaking.com; in 2010, Tony was elected into the inaugural class of the Top Sales World Sales Hall of Fame; in 2012, he was voted one of the Top 50 Sales & Marketing Influencers; and also in 2012, Dr. Tony was voted the #1 World’s Top Communication Guru.
Recognized by Meetings & Conventions Magazine as “one of America’s most electrifying speakers,” Tony’s polished style, powerful message, and proven ability as a consummate business strategist consistently earn rave reviews and loyal clients.
In this episode, Jennie and Dr. Tony discuss:
- The History of DISC
- DISC Personalities and combinations
- Using the DISC personality profile in business
- How to quickly discern a person’s DISC personality
- There are four personalities, Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness-
- D means Dominance, driver, director – their key desire is results, they want it done and they want it done now.
- I means Influence, they are more interactive, more socializing and more outgoing – their key desire is visibility, and they have the talent of persuading others.
- S, meaning Steadiness, are people that are more supportive, relater, amiable people – their key desire is close, personal relationships. They are the “glue” of the team.
- Conscientious people are thinkers, their key desire is order, accuracy, precision and perfection.
- People are never just purely one personality, there’s at least one more since people are very complex. However, there is one personality that’s more dominant than the others.
- DISC won’t only help you and your team know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, but it can also be used to communicate and interact with your clients more effectively.
- To know a person’s DISC personality – give people two simple either/or decisions, see if they exhibit a more open or guarded behavior and direct or indirect behavior.
“The beauty of DISC is that it… makes us better managers, builds a team cohesion because if I could know who’s what style, what the do’s and don’ts of communication could be, what their strengths and struggles may be – it makes our interaction so much more productive.” — Dr. Tony Alessandra
YouTube playlist link mentioned in the episode:
Free Communication Coach link mentioned in episode:
To take the DISC with Jennie at a discounted rate go to
And use coupon code BDSMDISC to get $50 off full price
Connect with Dr. Tony Alessandra:
CONNECT WITH JENNIE:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Blubrry | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More