About Janine Finney: I’ve been married for 28 years, have two daughters, two son’s in law, and five grandchildren, that I ADORE. I used to be “the biggest skeptic on the planet about Network Marketing” and am now the profession’s greatest advocate. It is my absolute passion to bring clarity to this “best-kept secret” way to earn an income. The journey of my daughter and I having strongly opposing views about this business, lead us to write two books about NMing. “The Flip Flop CEO” is a sassy, girlfriend to girlfriend style book that was written for smart, savvy professional women who would probably never consider Network Marketing because of their “perception” of what it’s about. “Does the Shoe Fit?” is the sequel to our first book and helps bridge the gap in understanding between the two different worlds of traditional 9-to-5s and Network Marketing.
In this episode, Jennie and Janine discuss:
- Are you using or abusing your network? Being sincere and not desperate to make sales.
- Growing together, with a family aspect, through network marketing.
- Changing the negative perception surrounding network marketing while building respect.
- Setting up and having the right expectations going into your business
- Be sure to make the point that you care about people and that’s why you are trying to involve them in your business. It’s not just about sales.
- Be upfront and open with people. You don’t start off on the right foot by introducing them to NM with deception.
- Get a person to commit to read the book for 30 minutes for their honest opinion.
- Being ok with and realizing that you have to be in the right place, with the right product, at the right time. Your product and time aren’t a perfect fit for everyone.
“We need to come together and help raise awareness at what a great business opportunity this is.” — Janine Finney
HOW TO USE “The Flip Flop CEO” & “Does the Shoe Fit?”
TO TALK to OTHERS about YOUR BUSINESS
Suggested verbiage to “Set Up” giving the book to someone
Most important: Be sincere and intentional
- The way you “set up the request” is critical.
- Don’t just give them a book and expect them to read it!!!
- Ask them to read the first 3 chapters (FFCEO) or Welcome (DTSF?), mention that it will take 30 minutes!
- Get an agreed upon time commitment. (1 to 2 weeks, or wait to give it to them)
- Always set up a Follow Up meeting!
- Follow these 3 Steps!!!
Explain why you are giving them the book, and want them to read the first 3 Chapters. (Verbiage examples are below)
Give them instructions…read the first three chapters, and ask THEM,
“What is the best method to “read the book” for you…Kindle, Audible or hard copy”? Always, set up an agreed upon follow up meeting (or call).
Let them know that you really appreciate their HONEST feedback…positive or negative.
You truly appreciate them doing this for you.
WHO is “The Flip Flop CEO” for?
- A Brand New Consultant – To avoid potential alienation from family & friends:
- “I’ve found out about something that I’m really excited about, and I’d like to get your take on it.
I have this book that explains it better than I can….and I’d really appreciate your HONEST feedback!”
- Support Group – Family & Friends
- “Having your support really matters to me, and it feels like what I believe I’m doing and what you think I’m doing are not the same thing. It would mean a lot to me if you would do me a huge favor. Would you read something that will take 30 minutes, and then give me your honest feedback?”
- “One of the things that I appreciate about our relationship is that you sometimes see things from a different perspective than me. I really love hearing your thoughts on things. There’s something I’d appreciate getting your take on. Would you do me a huge favor…it will take 30 minutes…I have a book that is a super quick read, so if you could, I’d like you to read the first 3 chapters…it explains it better than I probably can…would you do that for me?”
- Those who have an inaccurate perception of Network Marketing!
- “You’re my favorite person to run ideas by, and to talk to about things…I’ve wanted to talk to you about what I’m doing (or this business I’ve started) and get your perspective. The things I’d like to talk about are explained really well in this little book that I read. I’d like to ask you a huge favor. Would you be willing to spend 30 minutes reading the first 3 chapters of a book, and then give me your honest feedback?”
- Co-workers/ Friends you think might be interested if they understood.
- “I’m doing (or I have been doing) something that I’m super excited about. I would love to get your take on it. The easiest way for me to explain it is to give you this little book that made sense to me. Would you do me a huge favor? It will take 30 minutes. I’d like for you to read (the 1st 3 Chapters of FFCEO or Welcome, DTSF?) , and give me your honest feedback.”
- “I’ve got a huge favor to ask. I’m thinking about using a resource to give to people to explain what I’m doing, and I am too close to it to be objective. I really need someone with “beginner’s eyes” to give me their honest feedback about whether or not it’s a good tool to use. It’s a book, and I think if someone reads just the first 3 chapters, which takes 30 minutes, they’ll understand the basics. Would you be willing to be my “guinea pig” and give me your honest feedback?”
- People you hang out with who are looking for a way to…….
- “I have no idea if you’ll find this as interesting as I did, but when you talk about wanting ______, I just keep thinking this might be a solution for you. I think the easiest way to explain it well, so you can decide what you think, is for you to (read the first 3 chapters of this little book), that I read. It’s a super quick read….it’ll will take maybe 30 minutes. Will you do that; I’d love to know what you think. And if it doesn’t sound interesting, no worries…but I just keep thinking this just might be a way for you to have________.”
- People you admire and trust – Referrals
- “I’ve always admired and respected you, so much. I would love to get your HONEST feedback on something that I’m excited about. It makes so much sense to me but I want to make sure I’m not missing something. Would you do this for me? I have this book that explains it better than I can…it’ll take 30 minutes to read the first 3 chapters…would you do that. I’d so appreciate hearing your take on it.”
- Someone on your “Chicken List” – Referrals
- “I know you’re very happy with what you’re doing, but you are exactly the type of person I would love to have as a business partner. I’m wondering if you’d be willing to read the first 3 chapters of this book, so you’ll understand the basics of what the business is about, and maybe you’ll think of someone you know who might be interested in learning about this.”
- Someone you don’t know well but think they’d be great
- “We don’t even know each other, so forgive me if this seems strange….but I’m doing something that I’m super excited about, and seem like the type of person I’ve seen do really well at this. I have no idea if you’d even be interested, but if you’re open to it, I’d really like you to read something that spoke to me, and see if it does to you, as well. You may not be the least bit interested, which is absolutely okay…but I’d love to get you take on it, regardless. Would you read the first 3 chapters of a book…it will take 30 minutes. And it’ll either make sense to you or it won’t…would you be open to doing that?”
“Does the Shoe Fit?”
Who is this book for?
- Potential Business Partner – Someone who thinks they’ve “tried Network Marketing and it’s not for them”. (Ask them to read “Welcome”, the first 39 pages)
- New Consultants to help with RETENTION – EVERYONE new to Network Marketing NEEDS to understand the business, so they will set up realistic expectations.
- Someone who is trying to decide which company to join. – This book generically discusses important considerations when choosing a company.
- Great for people who want to know more – Offers comparisons between many traditional careers and Network Marketing for those who are curious about how “qualified’ they are.
- Consultants who are not where they want to be: DIAGNOSE why they may not be achieving the success they hoped they would- SELF ASSESSMENT – Breaks down the business into 4 areas of belief, Products, Company, Profession, Self
- Bridges the two different worlds of traditional 9-to-5’s and Network Marketing
- Explains difference between working for pay check vs. freedom
Giveaway: Free chapter of “The Flip Flop CEO” and “Does the Shoe Fit?”
Connect with Janine Finney:
Facebook: Janine Dunagan Finney
The Flip Flop CEO
MLM You Decide
The Clarity Movement by Flip Flop CEO Chicks for Change
LinkedIn: Janine Finney
Books: The Flip Flop CEO
Does the Shoe Fit
Podcast: MLM You Decide
CONNECT WITH JENNIE:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Kristen Braun
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Blubrry | Email | TuneIn | | More